Sand Authority Jobs
Makueni County Sand Conservation and Utilization Authority is a corporate body established under section 4(1) of the Makueni County sand conservation and Utilization Act, 2015. It is mandated to regulate and ensure sustainable Conservation and utilization of sand and to provide for protection of the environment and equitable sharing of the accruing benefits and for connected purposes. In order to operationalize the Act and ensure compliance, the Authority wishes to recruit competent and qualified persons to fill the positions below:
Program Officer (6 Posts)
Duties and responsibilities
In general, ensure the implementation of conservation and protection of sand riparian areas in accordance with the Makueni County Sand Conservation and Utilization Act, 2015.
- Co-ordinate and regulate the activities of Sand Resource Utilization Associations within the Sub-County in the process of conservation and utilization of sand resource and riparian areas.
- Co-ordinate and manage construction of sand dams and gabions in designated conservation and utilization sites.
- Ensure proper use of designated access roads to the riparian areas.
- Ensure restoration of damaged river beds/sites by illegal scooping of sand.
- Ensure periodical environmental impact assessment and audit checks.
- Mitigate the risks associated with unregulated sand utilization which includes environment degradation.
- Educate the public on the process and importance of protecting the environment and proper utilization and ensure the community benefits from the sand resources.
- Cultivate a culture of community participation in matters of environment protection and utilization.
- Should have a university degree in Environmental studies, or Natural resources management, or Water resources management studies, or any related field of study relevant to the position.
- Post graduate qualification in Project Management design and development is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ relevant working experience in, conservation, community development, research or teaching in environmental and natural resources management sector.
- Experience working in the NGO environment with a demonstrable experience in policy and legislative programming, granting, capacity development, M and E will be an added advantage.
- Broad knowledge of environment and natural resource management issues in Kenya including but not limited to catchment management for ecosystem services
- Willingness to learn new approaches to conservation and natural resource management
- Strong analytical and report writing skills as well as excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Self-driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated interest in devolved community development approach
- Excellent public relations skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
Revenue Officer (6 Posts)
Duties and responsibilities
- Implementation of sound revenue policy guidelines at the sub county level.
- Coordination and monitoring of the revenue collection activities in the sub county
- Prepare timely and accurate revenue reports for the Sub County;
- Certify and verify revenue returns in the Sub County;
- Custodian of accountable revenue documents at Sub County;
- Submitting weekly and monthly returns for the Sub County
- Be a Kenyan Citizen.
- Should have a university degree in an area relevant to Business Management, Finance, CPA(K) or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Be Computer literate in basic accounting softwares/packages.
- At least 3 years working experience
- The applicant should be able to demonstrate high level of competence and able to work under minimal supervision.
- The applicant should have excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of the commitment to the National values and principle of Public Service Governance as espoused in the Constitution of Kenya 2010, Article 10 and 232.
- Satisfy the requirement of chapter six of the constitution.
Enforcement Officer (30 posts)
- Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure protection/conservation measures as contained in the Makueni County Sand Conservation and Utilization Act, 2015 are enforced.
- Managing sand yards/storage areas where impounded and detained motor vehicles are parked.
- Undertaking inspections and ensure compliance by industry with Environmental management and coordination Act (EMCA) 1999 in respect of environmental standards.
- Undertaking compliance site inspections and being responsible for generation of work plan activities and reporting of work progress
- Enforce effective sand revenue collection by revenue officers
- Device methods of detecting and impounding of unauthorized sand harvesters and vehicles
- Diploma in criminology
- Be physically and mentally fit, and
- Have no past criminal record
- Must have clean driving licence and 5 years’ experience in driving heavy motor vehicles
- National Youth Service Training or ex-police with clean record will have an added advantage.
- Possession of a firearm and/or licence will be an added advantage.
- Should be within the age limit 24 to 55 years
How To Apply
Written applications enclosing current Curriculum Vitae, Copies of academic and professional certificates, ID card and clearance from the various institutions as listed below should be submitted in a sealed envelope and addressed to;
Makueni County Sand Conservation and Utilization Authority,
P.O. Box 78 – 90300.
Or delivered by hand to the Secretary, Makueni County Sand Conservation and Utilization Authority by close of business on the 23/12/2016.
i) All applicants are required to obtain clearance from the following Institutions;
- The Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
- The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
- The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA).
- The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC).
(ii) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(iii) Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce their original National Identity cards, Certificates and Testimonials at the interview.
(iv)The Makueni County Government is an equal opportunity employer; Youth, Women, Persons with Disabilities and other disadvantaged persons are encouraged to apply.
(v) Affirmative action as stipulated in the constitution shall be applied.