CEC – Dr. Naomi Makau
The department of Education & ICT deals with the devolved functions of education which is Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) and County Technical Training Institutes (CTTI). The department deals with implementation of the curriculum, and national policies. The CTTI involves implementation, monitoring and supervision of the growth and development of the technical institutes. The ICT directorate deals with enhancing service delivery by development of application systems, networks configuration and implementation and ICT equipment service maintenance and support.
The department of Education and ICT is composed of four directorates namely:
Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE)
The Mandate of the ECDE is development of infrastructure appropriate for the ECDE learners, supervision and monitoring of ECDE curriculum implementation.
- Supervision of ECDE curriculum implementation
- Assessing growth, monitoring and development in ECDE children
- Collection of data for purposes of equitable distribution of resources
- Capacity building for ECDE teachers
- Bettering the physical environment of the ECDE children through construction of classes and provision of outdoor play equipment.
- Enhancing hygiene by provision of clean water
County Technical Training Institutes (CTTIs)
The mandate of the County technical training institutes is management of all County training institutes in the County Government. Specifically the directorate deals with the following;
- Management of Technical Training Institutes including Youth Polytechnics by implementation of policies, development of policy guidelines, rules and regulations
- Implement programmes supported by various development partners.
- Supervision and Administration of management of Youth Polytechnic Training Staff
- Implement Quality Assurance and Standards (QAS) recommendations to improve quality and standards
- Promote ICT integration and Youth Innovations
- Management of Instructors and development of the human resource in the technical institutes
- Carry out research on education and training for Youth Polytechnics and disseminate research findings
Support To Education
The Mandate of Support to Education is to ensure scholarships and bursaries are awarded in a timely and fair manner, to the needy pupils across the County who are in secondary, universities, colleges and technical training institutes.
Information Communication Technology (ICT)
ICT systems are deployed to serve various public needs and ultimately result in reduced turn-around time, reduced corruption, increased transparency, greater convenience, revenue growth and cost reduction. All this translates to operational efficiencies and effectiveness in customer service delivery.
The directorate is composed of four sections namely:
- Applications Development
The ICT Applications Section provides value added services in the government for increased efficiency, effectiveness and transparency, through the development and implementation of ICT solutions. Utilization of software applications and systems in key areas like public participation, health, tourism, agriculture, education, and e-commerce.
- Telecommunications And Networks
The telecommunications and networks section deals with installation, configuration and maintenance of telecommunication equipment, wireless networks, and LAN/WANs.
- ICT Technical Support
This section is involved in installation, configuration and maintenance of computer systems, specifications design and basic user training
- ICT Projects & Capacity Building
This section is charged with management of County ICT Centers, community and staff ICT training.
Makueni Tech and Innovation Hub
Makueni Tech and Innovation Hub is geared at fostering and scaling-up innovation in Makueni County. The hub aims at allowing enterprise creation, supporting employment and competitiveness by providing open spaces where entrepreneurs, startups, young innovators and programmers can find training, mentoring, technical expertise to design market solutions to local challenges.
Tagline : Building toward an innovative ecosphere
Programmes: Women in STEM, Kids and Teens Bootcamps, Makueni hub academy – coding trainings/IOT/cisco/IBM, Techpreneurship, E-learning, Webinars