The Directorate of Culture, Music and the Arts was established in May 2019 and has the following vision, mission, strategic objectives and mandate:
A dynamic, vibrant and transformed culture, music, arts and heritage sector.
To develop, preserve, protect and promote arts, culture and heritage.
- To develop, promote, preserve and protect the arts, cultural and creative sector;
- To develop, preserve, promote and protect heritage;
- To develop, promote and support the performing arts;
- To develop, promote and preserve music in Kikamba and other languages;
- To develop, promote and protect Kikamba language and literature; and
- To enhance public entertainment and recreation activities.
- Arts and culture promotion and development (arts, culture and heritage policy, promotion and development of culture, music and the arts);
- Music development, promotion and preservation;
- Performing arts development and promotion;
- Heritage development, preservation, promotion and protection;
- Language and literature (books) development and promotion; and
- County parks and recreational facilities.
In fulfilment of its strategic objective to develop, preserve and protect the arts, cultural and creative sector, the directorate is pleased to present a digital exhibition of cultural and creative industries products. This initial exhibition covers the products developed by Dorcus Beads and the Makueni Handicrafts Cooperative Society.
The cultural and creative industries in Makueni County are greatly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. By placing an order and purchasing the beautiful products showcased in this exhibition, you are contributing to the livelihoods of artists, their families and other dependents that they support.