Market Cleaning Program is a significant step towards improving the cleanliness and overall hygiene of our local markets. This program aligns with our commitment to fostering a healthier and more sustainable environment within our trading areas.
Our markets in Makueni County are not only places of commerce but also vital hubs of community interaction. They serve as economic drivers and places where diverse members of our community converge. However, over time, concerns have arisen regarding their cleanliness and sanitation. These issues not only affect the well-being of our community but also the perception of our markets. The Market Cleaning Program is designed with the objective to;
- Enhance Hygiene: Implement regular cleaning and sanitation measures to ensure a clean and hygienic market environment for vendors and visitors alike.
- Beautification:Beautify market areas through landscaping, waste management, and improved infrastructure.
- Community Involvement: Encourage active participation from vendors, local businesses, and community members to take ownership of the cleanliness of our markets.
In view of achieving the above objectives, the Directorate of Trade has outlined a comprehensive plan, which includes:
- Regular Cleaning Schedule: Implementing a consistent cleaning schedule with dedicated personnel responsible for daily maintenance.
- Waste Management: Introducing proper waste disposal facilities and practices to minimize litter and promote recycling.
- Awareness Campaigns: Conducting awareness campaigns to educate market stakeholders and the community about the importance of cleanliness and hygiene.
- Community Engagement: Organizing volunteer-driven cleanup events, involving local schools, businesses, and residents.
- Infrastructure Upgrades: Evaluating and making necessary infrastructure improvements to ensure long-term sustainability.
- Empowering Market Participants: We believe that the success of this program hinges on the active involvement and empowerment of market participants.
Thus, the Trade directorate has initiated a program to furnish cleaners in over 120 markets earmarked for cleaning with sanitation equipment and is committed to work closely with vendors, business associations, community groups to ensure our markets are transformed into cleaner, safer, and more vibrant entrepreneurial spaces.