The Board derives its mandate from Section 59 (1) of the County Governments Act, 2012 which states that the Board shall:
- Establish and abolish offices in the County Public Service
- Appoint persons to hold or act in offices of the County Public Service including in the Boards of cities and urban areas within the county and to confirm appointments
- Exercise disciplinary control over, and remove, persons holding or acting in those offices as provided for under this Part
- Prepare regular reports for submission to the County Assembly on the execution of the functions of the Board
- Promote the National and Public Service Values and Principles referred to in Articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 in the County.
- Evaluate and report to the County Assembly on the extent to which the Values and Principles referred to in Articles 10 and 232 are complied with in the County public service
- Facilitate the development of coherent, integrated human resource planning and budgeting for personnel emoluments in the County.
- Advise the County Government on human resource management and development
- Advise the County Government on implementation and monitoring of the national performance management system in the County
- Make recommendations to the Salaries and Remuneration Commission, on behalf of the County Government, on the remuneration, pensions and gratuities for County public service employees.