The Makueni Agricultural Training Center is located eight (8) kilometers from Wote town in Muvau/Kikumini ward of Makueni subcounty along Wote – Kathonzweni road. The centre was established in early 2012 following consultations and liaison with then Ministry of Agriculture headquarters and KALRO management to create an ATC in Makueni County. A total of 30 acres of land at KALRO Kambi Mawe sub-station were set aside for that purpose. To-date, the ATC has developed a school section and a demonstration farm section both of which are utilized as instruments for farmer training and for hosting workshops and conferences. The centre also boasts of a hostel with 15 self-contained rooms for providing accommodation to trainees and participants while on residential training and seminars. The County has developed a draft bill to convert the Makueni ATC to a TVET institution.
NB: Photos of ATC Kwa Kathoka including seminar sessions
The centre is mandated to:
- Provide directly or in collaboration with other accredited institutions of learning, facilities for training on relevant farming technologies and other ancillary subjects;
- Exhibit solely or in collaboration with other development partners and stakeholder’s practical demonstrations in agriculture and in any other relevant aspect of human development
- Preserve and improve access to information and knowledge in agriculture and other development matters;
- Provide facilities for and participate in carrying out adaptive on farm trials of relevant technologies
- Commercialize farm enterprises through bulking of plant materials and multiplication of livestock breeds and fish fingerlings.