Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

News

GOVERNOR MUTULA VISITS KALEMBWANI ACCIDENT VICTIMS

Makueni Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr on Monday visited victims of the Kalembwani road accident receiving treatment at the Makueni County Referral Hospital.

Governor Mutula commended the medical team, led by orthopaedic surgeon Dr Kelvin Maweu, for responding swiftly to the victims and providing emergency treatment.

He announced that his administration would waive the medical bills incurred by the accident victims and cater for funeral expenses for those who lost their lives in the tragedy.

The County Referral Hospital received 41 patients on Sunday evening, while 28 others were admitted at Matiliku Sub-CountyHospital.

According to Dr Maweu, eight patients had been admitted at the County Referral Hospital, with two expected to be discharged with medication on Monday.

The remaining six patients would continue receiving treatment at the facility.

Governor Mutula has also appointed a task force to oversee funeral arrangements for the seven people who died in the accident. The arrangements will be held in Nthongoni.

He further announced that an interdenominational prayer service for the victims would be held on Wednesday in Nthongoni.

MAKUENI EXPANDS SPECIALIZED HEALTH SERVICES THROUGH NEW PARTNERSHIPS.

Makueni County has signed four agreements aimed at expanding specialized health services, including eye care, HIV treatment, women’s health and maternal and newborn care.

Gov. Mutula Kilonzo Jr. witnessed the signing Monday between the county government and AHF Kenya, Sightsavers International, The HEM Practice Ltd. and Jacaranda Health Solutions.

Under the agreements, Sightsavers will support eye screening and treatment, while AHF Kenya will strengthen HIV testing, prevention and comprehensive care.

The HEM Practice will help expand minimally invasive surgery and specialized women’s health services through training and technical support. Jacaranda Health will support maternal and newborn care through digital health tools, data use and training for frontline health workers.

Mutula said the partnerships would help bring specialized care closer to residents and strengthen the county’s health system.

He urged residents to undergo regular eye screening to enable early detection and treatment of conditions such as cataracts.

The governor also highlighted the need to strengthen maternal and newborn services, particularly care for babies requiring specialized neonatal treatment.

The agreements were signed by Dr. Samuel Kinyanjui, AHF Kenya country program director; Moses Chege, Sightsavers International country director; Faith Wanjeri, CEO of The HEM Practice; and Javan Waita, director of Kenya programs at Jacaranda Health.

County Health Executive Joyce Mutua, Chief Health Officer Dr. Harvey Mulei and Director of Preventive and Promotive Health Dr. Stephen Mwatha also attended the signing.

37 KALEMBWANI ACCIDENT SURVIVORS DISCHARGED FROM MAKUENI REFERRAL HOSPITAL

Thirty-seven patients injured in the Kalembwani road accident that claimed seven lives on the spot on Friday night have been discharged from the Makueni County Referral Hospital with medication.

According to the facility’s orthopaedic surgeon, Dr Kelvin Maweu, the discharged patients sustained soft-tissue injuries and did not require further hospitalisation. 28 others were admitted at Matiliku Hospital last night and by this morning, only 13 were in hospital.

Dr Maweu confirmed that four patients remain admitted at the facility, where they are receiving medical care.

One of the survivors, Rose Mueni, who is still admitted at the referral hospital, commended the Makueni County Government for its swift response during the rescue operation.

Makueni County Health Chief Officer Dr Harvey Mulei said no further fatalities had been recorded since the evacuation mission began on Friday night.

Dr Mulei attributed the response to the availability of specialist doctors at the county referral hospital, ambulance services and the quality of healthcare provided to the injured.

He condoled with the families of those who lost their lives in the accident and wished the injured a speedy recovery.

EMPOWERING MAKUENI’S YOUTH: COUNTY, STUDENTS JOIN FORCES IN KAMBU

The County Government of Makueni, led by CECM for Gender, Youth, Sports, Children and Social Services Eng. Sebastian Kyoni, has partnered with the Makueni County KU Students Association to empower youths in Kambu, Mtito Andei Ward.

The youths were trained on drug abuse prevention, mental health awareness, financial discipline, career guidance and mentorship, agribusiness and market linkages.

Eng. Kyoni urged young people to take advantage of county programmes including Tujiajiri, Ligi Mashinani, Ujuzi Teketeke and Ajira kwa Vijana, while actively participating in public forums to help shape youth-focused development priorities.

The initiative also saw the distribution of over 2,000 tree seedlings to promote environmental conservation, while girls received sanitary pads to support menstrual hygiene.

Kyoni was accompanied by Chief Officer Nicolis Mutua, area MCA Francis Mulwa, Thange Ward MCA Eric Katumo and other leaders.

MAKUENI YOUTH URGED TO REGISTER SKILLS, TAKE PART IN PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Makueni Youth have been urged to register their skills on the county’s Youth Information Management System and actively participate in public forums to help shape the county’s future.

Speaking during International Youth Day celebrations in Wote, Chief Officer for Youth Nicholis Mutua said young people should take advantage of available opportunities and actively engage in programmes aimed at supporting their development.

Mutua said the Youth Information Management System enables youth to register their areas of expertise, showcase their skills and access relevant opportunities, programmes and support.

He also urged young people to participate in public participation forums, saying their involvement would help influence decisions affecting the county and their future.

SENATE COMMITTEE COMMENDS MAKUENI FOR PROGRESS IN OPERATIONALIZING MUNICIPALITIES.

The Senate Committee on Devolution and Intergovernmental Relations has commended Makueni County for making significant strides in operationalising municipalities, noting that many other devolved units were still at the early stages of implementing the framework.

The committee, chaired by Wajir Senator Abbas Mohamed, made the remarks when Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr. appeared before it to shed light on the progress the county has made in actualising the functions of municipalities.

Governor Mutula informed the committee that Makueni had operationalised three municipalities and allocated funds to support their operations and development.

He also appealed to the Senate to explore legislative mechanisms for ensuring sustainable funding and resourcing of municipalities, noting that adequate resources were critical to enabling them to effectively discharge their functions.

GOVERNOR MUTULA MEETS YOUTH LEADERS, CHARTS FOR GREATER YOUTH INVOLVEMENT

Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr. has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth inclusion following a consultative meeting with youth leaders drawn from all six sub-counties to discuss solutions to challenges facing young people.

The meeting, attended by representatives of youth groups and associations and led by Makueni University Students Association chairperson Daniel Kisilu , focused on increasing youth participation in county governance, including budget planning, employment, internships, scholarships, and programmes to address drug and substance abuse.

Governor Mutula directed the Directorate of Youth Affairs to establish an 11-member advisory board comprising representatives from all six sub-counties and persons with disabilities to champion youth interests. He also pledged affirmative action in future county employment opportunities while urging young leaders to engage government through established legal and governance frameworks.

The consultative forum forms part of the county government’s efforts to strengthen youth engagement and promote inclusive development.

EASTERN RC LAUDS MAKUENI’S SECURITY COLLABORATION

Eastern Regional Commissioner Jacob Ouma Muganda has praised the working relationship between the Makueni County Government and security agencies, saying the collaboration has strengthened peace, security and service delivery.

Speaking during a courtesy call on Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr. on Thursday, Muganda urged continued cooperation between the two levels of government to advance development and improve the livelihoods of residents.

Governor Mutula, meanwhile, raised concerns over rising human-wildlife conflict, vandalism of public infrastructure and illegal sand harvesting cartels, calling for concerted action by security agencies.

He also urged authorities to embrace dialogue in resolving social and political disputes instead of using force.

The governor commended local security agencies for their support, citing the success of the Huduma Mashinani outreach programme as an example of effective collaboration.

Mutula further linked cases of gender-based violence, suicide and family disputes to unresolved land succession conflicts, saying the county had initiated interventions to address the problem and appealed for support from security agencies.

MAKUENI TO EXTEND MOBILITY SUPPORT TO 300 MORE PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

The Makueni County Government will provide assistive devices to 300 more persons with disabilities next month under its partnership with Hope Mobility Kenya, as the two institutions deepen efforts to improve mobility and access to rehabilitation services.

The commitment was reaffirmed during a consultative meeting on Wednesday between County Executive Committee Member for Gender, Children, Youth, Sports and Social Services Eng. Sebastian Kyoni, Chief Officer Catherine Katuti, county officials and representatives from Hope Mobility Kenya.

The outreach programme will provide beneficiaries with properly fitted assistive devices, including wheelchairs, crutches, elbow crutches and other mobility aids. The exercise will also include follow-up assessments for previous beneficiaries to evaluate the condition of their devices and ensure they continue to meet users’ mobility needs.

As part of the collaboration, Hope Mobility Kenya donated 10 auxiliary crutches and 20 walking frames to the county to strengthen support for residents requiring mobility assistance.

ECM Kyoni said more than 700 persons with disabilities have benefited from assistive devices and rehabilitation services since the partnership was established.

The programme will also enhance local capacity through the training of 15 artisans and 10 healthcare workers drawn from sub-county hospitals. The trainees will receive skills in the fitting, maintenance and repair of assistive devices to improve access to services at the community level.

The ECM said the initiative aligns with Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr.’s agenda of promoting inclusion, equal access to services and improved quality of life for persons with disabilities across Makueni County.

NEW KIKUMINI MATERNITY WING SET TO QUADRUPLE DELIVERY CAPACITY.

The Makueni County Government has commissioned a new maternity wing at Kikumini Health Centre, a move expected to significantly improve maternal healthcare services and increase the facility’s delivery capacity.

For years, Kikumini Health Centre has recorded an average of six deliveries every month.

With the completion of the new maternity wing, the facility is now expected to handle up to 25 deliveries monthly, providing expectant mothers with improved access to quality maternal care.

Speaking during the commissioning ceremony, Makueni Deputy Governor Lucy Mulili commended healthcare workers for their dedication to serving residents, noting that the county has continued to invest in expanding access to healthcare.

On average, every Makueni resident has a health facility within four to five kilometres, in line with internationally accepted standards for geographical access to primary healthcare.

Mulili also highlighted the county’s efforts to strengthen the referral system through the centralisation of ambulance dispatch services and the introduction of a free ambulance programme.

Under the programme, she said, no Makueni resident referred by a clinician will be required to pay for ambulance transport to another health facility, whether within or outside the county.

Mulili was accompanied by Ministry of Health officials led by Dr. Edward Serem, representatives of the Government of Finland, county government officials and several Members of the County Assembly (MCAs).