Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

News

Five of 21 Suspects Linked to The Defilement Case of A 15-Year Old Pupil Transferred to Different Law Courts

Kilungu law courts senior resident magistrate Charles Mayamba has this morning referred five of the 21 suspects who allegedly defiled a 15-year-old pupil in Ilima Ward to different law courts within Makueni County.

Mathew Mumbu, a primary school teacher will on 24th of July 2018 be arraigned in Makindu law courts for the mention while Paul Musau, will have his case mentioned on 26th of this month at Tawa law courts.
Mayamba reported that his decision was arrived at from his previous ruling on the same case where he convicted a man for a life sentence.

‘’It would be detrimental and against the tenets of Justice for me to continue with these cases owing to documented opinion in my judgement in the other cases’’ he said.

Last month the magistrate also convicted a 30-year-old for 80 years in prison for defiling his five-year-old daughter.

Thirteen other suspects accused of defiling the class six pupil on different dates between February and May are still at large and the police are looking for them.
Fida Kenya sent two lawyers to give legal support to the complainant’s case.

Deputy governor Adelina Mwau who has been following the case keenly sat through the proceedings and expressed her satisfaction in the way the case is being handled.

She said that in the past, for years such cases were catching dust under magistrates’ watch while perpetrators roomed free.

‘’We have lost evidence in many cases without proper explanation but we are now registering our satisfaction in the way defilement cases are being handled in Makueni,” Mwau noted.

First Lady’s Mentorship Programme


Deputy Governor Adelina Mwau shakes hands with a disabled youth at Emali Town during the Mentorship programme
Most students make career choices with little or no information, guided by family preference, teacher driven, peer influence, individual inclinations or media influence.This has resulted to broken careers and unrealized dreams.
It is for this reason that Makueni first lady Nazi Kivutha in conjunction with the department of Youth Gender Sports and Social Services designed a tailored Students Career Guidance and mentorship programme for different categories of education as well as talent development and life skills mentorship.
The County government of  Makueni is committed to youth empowerment and are working on a Youth Service policy that will ensure all youths are empowered. Governor Kibwana and his deputy Adelina Mwau graced the mentorship programme at Emali town where they promised to ensure the welfare of the young people is factored in the County Integrated Development Plan

FIRST LADY VISITS SULTAN HAMUD HOSPITAL TO REVIEW MATERNITY WING PROGRESS

Makueni County First Lady, Anita Mutula on Thursday visited Sultan Hamud Sub-County Hospital to inspect ongoing construction of a new maternity wing aimed at expanding access to maternal healthcare.

The maternity facility has a 50-bed capacity, designed to address the rising number of deliveries at the hospital, which have surged to 180–190 mothers per month. The project is a partnership between Safaricom and the County Government of Makueni, reflecting a shared commitment to improving the quality of healthcare services for residents of Makueni and neighbouring counties.

The maternity wing is being developed at a total cost of Ksh 60 million, with Ksh 45 million allocated for construction and Ksh 15 million set aside for medical equipment. The facility is expected to be fully equipped and operational by November 2025.

The First Lady also toured other sections of the hospital to check on service delivery and patient care. Her visit coincided with the delivery of a new drug consignment, part of a wider county-wide initiative that has seen 17 major hospitals across Makueni receive fresh medical supplies to enhance service provision.

She was accompanied by Health Chief Officer Health, Dr. Harvey Mulei, the Chairman of the Hospital Board of Management, Major Leonard Kasyoka, Kasikeu Ward MCA Reuben Kavai, and other local leaders.

FIRST LADY FULFILLS WATER PROMISE TO UNOA SCHOOL, LAUNCHES BOREHOLE DRILLING

When learners from Unoa Comprehensive Primary School return for the third term on Tuesday, August 26, 2025, they will walk into a school with free-flowing water for personal use, tree planting, and kitchen gardening.

This is thanks to a borehole drilled within the school compound by the Office of Kenya’s First Lady, Rachael Ruto. The borehole was a pledge made by Mrs. Ruto during the commemoration of the International Day of the African Child, held at the school on June 16, 2025.

The First Lady, who officially launched the drilling on Wednesday, noted that the project will significantly enhance sanitation, boost food security through kitchen gardening, and improve overall academic performance. The neighboring community is also set to benefit, with the initiative expected to ease water access for Wote residents.

During the launch, the First Lady was accompanied by Makueni County First Lady Anita Mutula and other local leaders

First Lady Anita Mutula to spearhead maternal and child health programmes

Makueni First Lady H.E. Anita Mutula will work in collaboration with the Department of Health Services towards better healthcare for children.

Anita revealed this during finalisation of 2023/2024 annual work plan. The event had brought together all the top managerial teams of the health docket.

The workplan will be the blueprint that will guide in areas of prioritization for health interventions as per the available resources as well as partner support.

While addressing the participants, the First Lady reiterated the need to curb malnutrition and premature births as a catalyst to increasing child survival.

Further, she underscored that malnutrition remains a huge public health burden and is the single greatest contributor to child mortality across the country.

Anita as well emphasised the importance of improving Reproductive and Maternal health services to address the needs of mothers.

Anita will be supporting the department in advocacy for service uptake as well as resource mobilization as the county works towards achieving the highest attainable quality of Health Servives.

 

FIRST LADY ANITA MUTULA FLAGS OFF SOCIAL PROTECTION SUPPORT FOR VULNERABLE GROUPS

County First Lady Makueni – Anita Mutula in partnership with the Department of Gender, Children, Youth, Sports and Social Services have flagged off social protection support for vulnerable groups in Makueni County.

The social support in form of wheelchairs, food items, blankets, mattresses and dignity packs for boys and girls is meant to cushion the elderly, people living with disabilities and opharned & vulnerable children against social and economic life shocks.

County Executive Committee Member for Gender Eng. Peter Mumo said the social protection program is geared towards ensuring a life of dignity and opportunity for all residents of Makueni. The department, he said, recognizes that social and economic vulnerabilities can prevent individuals and families from reaching their full potential.

Makueni has a population of 36,369 PWDs, 66,691 elderly persons, and over 65,000 OVC where only 23,716 are under cash transfer.

FIRST COHORT OF SPONSORED STUDENTS COMPLETE EXAMS.

Kwa Kathoka, 6th August 2024

The Agricultural Training College (ATC) celebrated a significant milestone as the first cohort of fully sponsored students successfully completed their exams.

This initiative, supported by the Anglican Development Services (ADS) and the County Government of Makueni, aligns with the National Agriculture Value Chain Development Program (NAVCDP) and aims to enhance skills in key agricultural areas such as poultry, dairy, and horticulture.

The program’s focus on practical training, with a curriculum comprising 20% theory and 80% practical experience, prepares students for real-world applications.

Graduates are equipped to provide extension services or launch entrepreneurial ventures in agriculture.

CEC Member for Agriculture Joyce Mutua, encouraged other wards to follow the example of Kathonzweni Ward, which has already allocated funds to sponsor youths for these training programs.

She emphasized that such initiatives would help bridge the gap in agricultural training and equip the youth with the necessary skills to engage in agri-preneurship.

FIREFIGHTING, EMERGENCIES AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT POLICY

Makueni County Government seeks to prioritize Disaster Risk Management as it also pursues citizen empowerment within its borders. To this end, Makueni County Government shall employ a bottom-up approach focusing on the village level for Disaster preparedness, response, recovery and rehabilitation programmes. Building capacities of people living in disaster prone areas and improvement of their capabilities in order to cope with all hazards is therefore a central and critical aspiration and intention of Makueni County Government.

[wpdm_package id=7681 template=”link-template-calltoaction3.php”]
FIREFIGHTING, EMERGENCIES AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT POLICY