Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

News

DG Roots for Gender Based Violence Recovery Centre


Deputy Governor Makueni H.E Adelina Mwau (Center) leading talks on how to establish a gender based violence centre in Makueni when she met a delegation from the Nairobi Women Hospital’s Gender Violence Recovery Center at the Governor’s boardroom in Wote Town.
Makueni Deputy Governor Adelina Mwau has announced plans by the county to partner with Nairobi Women’s hospital to establish a gender based violence recovery centre in Wote town.
Ms Mwau said that she is shocked at the horrendous nature of gender violence in the county adding that many women were getting battered and maimed or killed by violent spouses in the area.
She said that a significant number of cases of violated victims have been reported in various county facilities something she noted has raised quite an alarm.
“I am happy that the Nairobi Women hospital’s Gender Violence Recovery Centre is ready to partner with us in this initiative which I consider very nobble,”Ms Mwau said.
The Deputy Governor a  pro-gender reforms crusader said that the level of violence against women in the county had hit a crescendo and called on the national government institutions including the administration and the police to work with victims in order to tame the vice.
“We are also concerned as a county government that many victims are not reporting their cases to the police as is required. We are appealing to the administrators especially chiefs and their assistants to be more proactive on this matter,” she said.
Reports on violence against women in the area have increased in the recent past. Local TV stations have been running stories showing badly battered women attacked by their spouses in various sub-counties in the area.
During a consultative meeting between the county and the Nairobi Women hospital in Wote town on Tuesday the Executive Director of the Gender Violence Recovery Centre Mr Albert Wambua said the organization is ready for partnership to develop the recovery center at the Makueni level 4 hospital.
“As an organization we want to say we are ready to support this idea. And we want to say that we are going to do our part to ensure we have a complete project for the Makueni County,” he said.
Makueni County Secretary and Head of Public Service Paul Wasanga said the county is in full support of the initiative adding that the idea is people centered and could not have come at a better time.
Said Mr Wasanga, “I want to commit that as a government we support this initiative. We have nominated government officers to a joint task force that will work out clear details and a develop   a frame work of how the implementation will be done.”
Commenting on the matter,Makueni County Assembly speaker Douglas Mbilu said that the assembly will support the government by ensuring request to finance the construction of the center is approved.
“As leaders we are also concerned about the magnitude of this abuses. As the speaker I will support government initiatives to develop such a center even as we call for a major campaign against gender violence in this area,”Mr Mbilu said.
He said the situation had reached intolerable levels as many people had been killed or permanently disabled because of domestic violence.

DG LUCY MULILI DRIVES GRASSROOTS EMPOWERMENT IN EMALI, KILOME DEVELOPMENT TOUR

Makueni Deputy Governor Lucy Mulili on Friday led a development tour of Emali/Mulala, Kasikeu, and Mukaa wards, where she promoted the county’s social inclusion program.

In Emali, Mulili distributed youth empowerment tools, including full public address systems, mechanic support equipment, and state-of-the-art wheelchairs for people with mobility challenges.

At Kasikeu, the Deputy Governor provided sports equipment to organized youth teams to boost sports development in the area.

In Mukaa Ward, 10 social welfare groups each received a 100-seater tent and chairs to support their income-generating activities. Additionally, Mulili distributed footballs to sports teams and wheelchairs to persons with disabilities (PWDs).

Mulili, accompanied by Gender Executive Committee Member Eng. Sebastian Kyoni, and respective MCAs Cosmus Kaleli, Reuben Kavai and Joseph Muema reiterated Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr’s commitment to inclusivity and support for vulnerable groups, ensuring no one feels left out in the county development.

DG leads negotiations with Israeli global solar firm

Deputy Governor Adelina Mwau has said Makueni County has greater potential in solar energy that remains an attraction to  investors in the green energy sector.

Mwau who met a top Israeli green energy investor the CEO of Gigawatts Global Mr Yosef Abramowitz  in Nairobi on Thursday said that despite the potential, most households in Makueni  County remained unlit with electricity cost  too prohibitive for the locals.

Mwau said the county has opened doors to potential investors showing interest in solar harvesting in the area adding that the  county’s 10 hours of sunshine a day could be turned into a blessing through solar harvesting initiatives.

“Our county has not benefitted majorly from the national government’s  rural electrification plan.This could be the way out. It could help us get power and facilitate the lighting of the Makueni villages,”Mwau said.

Speaking during the meeting Mr Abramowitz said Gigawatts Global is interested in potential partnership  in the energy related areas.

He said his organisation is a leader in green energy installations around the world and that the company has successfully ventured in Africa adding that any initiative in Makueni will be supported.

“We are open to any working relationship with Makueni county.We are impressed by the strong governance credentials shown by the county government.It shows it will be very easy for us to work with you,”Mr Abramowitz said.

Transport ECM Sebastian Kyoni who was also present said the county is ready to work with Gigawatts Global once they are ready to make a move.

“We have the capacity to host a major solar power investment.If Gigawatts makes a move we will partner with them,” he said.

Devolve Children Services: Kyathe

Youth, Gender, Culture, Sports and Social Services Chief Officer Jonah Kyathe on Friday urged the national government to devolve children services in order to make it easier to handle their cases effectively at the grassroots.

Kyathe said that counties have no budget  to address children affairs adding that the county only compliments what the national government does because children services are not devolved.

“The budget to manage the affairs of our children is at the national level and as such it is difficult to effectively deal with arising cases  at the grassroots effectively.  Our children are here with us not in Nairobi and we therefore urge the national government to devolved children services,” Kyathe said.

Kyathe who spoke during a stakeholders’ training workshop on sensitization and formation of sub-county child protection committees in Wote observed that most of the children’s cases are not reported because their perpetrators are family members.

He further indicated that many people do not know the relevant authorities to report children cases and called for intense training to members in order to be equipped with relevant information on children cases.

“Most of the children cases go unreported because they are committed by close family members while others are never reported simply because our people do not know where to report such cases. We there need a lot of training on the same,” he added.

The training also  oversaw formation of sub- county children protection committees across the county. The committees will over and above be responsible for detection, response and also address children abuse cases.

The executive committee member for Youth and Gender Dr. Godfrey Makau who also attended the workshop said that the county government was in the process of formulating a county child protection policy to guide the county on matters children.

He further called upon the national government and other key stakeholder to work together towards promoting the rights of children in order to avoid duplicate of roles when addressing the same issue.

“We are in the process of formulating a county child protection policy and we urge the national government to partner with us so that we avoid duplication of roles when we are addressing the same issues of our children,” the ECM said.

His sentiments were echoed by Makueni County Co-coordinator, Children services Celestine Nthiani who was doing a presentation on overview of child protection and the roles of the child protection committees.

“If we need to go far, we need to work together as institutions in order to protect our children who are our future,” Ms. Nthiani observed.

Other officials who graced the training workshop include Jane Makau, County director for gender and representatives from Faith Based Organisations and other non state actors.

Devolution Executive Japheth Musyoka Mang’oka – evaluates School affected by heavy rains

Devolution Executive Japheth Musyoka Mang’oka on Saturday visited Mba Primary School in Kako/Waia, Mbooni Sub-County to assess the basic physical structures in the school following Strong winds that blew off roofs of several classrooms on Friday.

Mang’oka observed that the area experienced torrential rainfall which was accompanied by powerful gusts of wind leading to destruction of a section of the school, with the ECD classrooms being the most affected.
He assured parents that infrastructural personnel will be send on Monday to ascertain levels of damage caused.

However, he revealed that the school will receive over 600 seedlings from the Environment Department which will be planted in the school compound to blunt the school buildings from chilling power of stiff winds.

 

6th Annual Devolution Conference

Governor Kivutha Kibwana and deputy Adelina Mwau join other governors and Food and Agricultural Organization officials in the launch of the “Counties That Matter” food programme, a partnership between counties and FAO.

This programme seeks to build sustainable food systems in counties as part of driving the food security aspect of the Big Four Agenda spearheaded by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The launch took place on Wednesday during the 6th Annual Devolution Conference staged at Kirinyaga University, Kirinyaga county.

Development Tour of Kibwezi East

Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jnr on Friday embarked on his maiden development tour of Kibwezi-East for inspection and commissioning of several development projects.
The projects included: Inspection of the Tsavo East Game Park Electric Fence, commissioning of Mtito Andei Roads Grading, inspection of Mtito Andei hospital and launch of
The solar powered electric fence will put to an end the human-wildlife conflict eyesore which has made life a living hell!

DESTINATION MAKUENI GOES DIGITAL

‘Destination Makueni’ is an e-platform designed to make exploring the county simple, exciting, and stress-free.

Tourists and visitors are able to search for their favorite spots with ease—getting directions, distances, prices and extra details all in one place.

From hotels, tour operators, taxi services, cultural centers and scenic hills to game parks, the platform brings Makueni’s gems to your fingertips.

The platform has become one of the key highlights showcased at the ongoing MagicalKenya Tourism Expo 2025 in Nairobi, attracting wide attention.

While attending the expo, Trade and Tourism CECM Doc Sonia Nzilani urged visitors to explore the county’s unique beauty through the Destination Makueni platform.

With easy bookings and access to attractions, Destination Makueni is not only selling the county’s beauty but also boosting trade, creating jobs, and empowering local residents through tourism.

DESTINATION MAKUENI: A DIGITAL GATEWAY TO EXPLORE AND EMPOWER.

The Tourism Directorate is undertaking a four-day- sensitization forum for local hoteliers, business operators, vendors and transport service providers to enlighten them on how to onboard their products and services onto Destination Makueni.

Destination Makueni is an online platform developed as part of efforts to digitize tourism promotion and bridge the information gap for both visitors and local operators.

In recognizing the Makueni county’s vast tourism potential and the need for a unified online presence, the Directorate partnered with stakeholders to build a platform that supports local businesses, markets Makueni’s unique attractions and encourages sustainable economic growth through tourism.

The platform is designed to make it easy for nature enthusiasts and tourists to discover the county’s hidden gems, hospitality facilities, service providers and local vendors right from their phones or computers at a glance.

The sensitization forums, which kicked off in Mbooni on Monday and continued in Kilome on Tuesday, aim to cover all six sub-counties. Interested hoteliers and tourism service providers are getting the opportunity to onboard their products and services on the platform, complete with detailed pricing information.

This platform offers up-to-date information on hospitality facilities and tourism service providers, ensuring visitors plan their stay with ease.

By giving local hotels, lodges, tour guides and other tourism businesses a digital marketing space, Destination Makueni aims to boost their visibility, attract more guests and drive economic empowerment for communities that rely on tourism for their livelihoods.

www.destinationmakueni.com