Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

News

PS warns over Uncontrolled Tree Harvesting as Harsh Climatic Conditions persist

Planning Principal Secretary Dr Julius Muia has warned over irregular harvesting of trees saying it was contributing to harsh environmental conditions currently experienced in Makueni County.

He said the irregular harvests had led to the decreasing woodlots making Ukambani a victim of harsh climatic situations during both rain and sunny seasons.

The PS said that unsustainable harvesting of wood has led to degradation of forests causing the escalation of deforestation, increasing Green House Gas Emissions and land degradation.

He also indicated that water catchment areas are also drying up and timber and charcoal are becoming very expensive.

“We are cutting trees more than we are planting and this has caused several effects like degradation of forests and drying up of water catchment areas,” Dr Muia said.

The PS spoke during the Makueni county afforestation drive at Nduundune primary and secondary schools in Emali.

The Planning PS was accompanied by the county First Lady  Nazi Kivutha,officials from Kenya Forestry Service and  several representatives from  various development partners who also  took part in planting approximately 30,000 trees in the area.

Dr. Muia further indicated that the county is in arid and semi-arid zone of Kenya and proposed the initiation of a sustainable Citizen Centered Afforestation and Conservation Initiative that will encourage every village to have a big tree nursery as well as support watering and caring.

“We all know that Makueni is not favoured by climate therefore it is important for us to innovate an appropriate program that will support afforestation despite the foregoing weather challenges,” said the PS.

Nazi who also took part in the drive called upon everyone and especially pupils to plant trees on annual basis revealing that together with Governor Kivutha Kibwana they had already planted 800 trees in their home during the current wet season.

“I urge all our pupils to treat trees as their pets and plant a tree every year. The governor and I have planted 800 trees this season,” Nazi stated.

Her sentiments were echoed by Makueni County Commissioner Mohammed Maalim who also present at the event saying that together with the county government they had already planted 160,000 trees in the county.

Other County officials who took part in the drive include executive committee members for water and roads, Robert Kisyula and Eng. Sebastian Kyoni respectively and chief officer for natural resources and climate change Mary Mbenge.

PS Kello Lauds Makueni’s Exemplary Farmer Profiling Exercise

Permanent Secretary State Department for Crop Development Kello Harsama has lauded Makueni for its exemplary Farmer profiling exercise.
PS Kello noted that Makueni was among the counties which had made commendable strides in the exercise which is ongoing across the country, aimed at collecting and documenting data on farmers.
 
He praised Makueni on Tuesday when he visited a number of farmers in Utangwa, in a bid to assess the progress of the exercise, noting that similar initiative had aborted in some counties due to malpractice in the recruitment of the agri-prenures.
 
He stated, ” We said we visit the counties that are progressing well in the farmer profiling. Makueni has done very well while in other counties the exercise was stopped due to malpractice in recruiting the enumerators.”
 
The exercise will close on 8th, October 2023  and officials called on farmers to avail as accurate information as possible.
 
The PS was hosted by Makueni Deputy Governor Lucy Mulili, Agriculture Executive Joyce Mutua and other senior county officials.
 
Mulili thanked the National Government for the support they had rendered to the county government, highlighting successful recruitment of the agri-prenures and dispatching of Sh 4.7 Million worth of cherry fund to Makueni coffee farmers.

PS GENDER, GOVERNOR KILONZO DISCUSS PLANS FOR GBV COURT IN MAKUENI.

The Principal Secretary for the State Department of Gender and Affirmative Action, Ann Wang’ombe, Dr.Sam Thenya, Founder Nairobi Women’s Group paid a courtesy call to Makueni Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr. at his Wote office on Wednesday.

During their meeting, they explored a potential collaboration with the judiciary to establish a specialized court at the Makueni Law Courts dedicated to addressing gender-based violence (GBV) cases.

Governor Kilonzo emphasized the importance of law enforcement in ensuring GBV laws are strictly upheld.

PS Wang’ombe is in Makueni to attend a gender sensitization forum aimed at promoting gender mainstreaming for a more equitable society.

The forum brings together the county’s CECs, Chief Officers, directors, the Gender Assembly Committee, Makueni High Court presiding judge, County Police Commander, and other key stakeholders in gender and child protection.

Protecting Devolution.

Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr today was among governors who attended the full council meeting to deliberate on pertinent issues protecting devolution for the Makueni people and Kenya at large.
It was addressed among other issues that:
i) Treasury should immediately release sh. 94.35 billion owed to the Counties lest operations within the counties will be shut down after 14 days ultimatum.
ii) Conveyed dissatisfaction after the senate voted against Division of a revenue bill, 2023 that would have seen counties get sh. 407 billion as an equitable share in FY 2023/2024.
 

PROMOTING LAND AWARENESS IN MUKAA

Legal land ownership gives individuals confidence, security, and the freedom to invest in their future.

It protects families from disputes and ensures smooth transfer of property from one generation to another.

With proper ownership, communities thrive in peace and unity.

Today, hundreds of residents from Mukaa Ward gathered at Upete and Enzai markets for a legal awareness forum on land succession and transfer.

The sensitization, led by Deputy Governor Makueni-H.E Lucy Mulili, highlighted essential documents needed, and who should oversee the process to ensure fairness and transparency in land succession.

Speaking during the event, Ms. Mulili asked residents present to handle land matters openly and lawfully for harmony and love prevail in our homes and community in the county.

The exercise, attended by Chief Officer Devolution Daniel Ndolo, MCA Eng. Joseph Muema, and county administration officers, was spearheaded by the County Legal team.

Promoting Education

At least 6,928 students from Makueni in various institutions of learning have received bursary cheques in support of their education fees.

The cheques, worth Sh 50 million, were issued by Governor Kivutha Kibwana at ATC Kwa Kathoka for distribution to beneficiaries by ward representatives.

Those who benefited include:-

  • 4,318 secondary school and County Technical Training Institute students.
  • 870 college students,
  • 1,037 university students and
  • 703 students living with disabilities.

PROJECT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE(PMC) TO STEER SURVEY OF MTITO-ANDEI TOWN UNVEILED

County Executive Committee Member for Lands and Urban Planning Nicholas Nzioka has unveiled a Project Management Committee to lead a cadastral survey for the perimeter boundary of Mtito-Andei town and all the public utilities within. 

The committee, commissioned on Thursday (February 8, 2024), will work with a survey consultant also presented in the meeting. This survey will culminate to titling of the identified public utilities in a bid to protect them from encroachment or grabbing. 

Mr. Nzioka earlier led a Public Participation forum at Nthunguni, Mtito-Andei, on the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment of Ngai Ndethya Settlement. The Assessment will assess potential impacts of excising 21,000 hactares from Ngai Ndethya Game Reserve for allocation to more than 9,000 residents. The exercise will also pave way for issuance of title deeds to the squatters.

Prof. Kibwana kickstarts Sh. 300-million Road Upgrade Project

Governor Kivutha Kibwana on Wednesday flagged off Sh 300 million roads upgrading works to repair feeder roads damaged by heavy rains across the County.

The works involve heavy grading and spot murraming of 60 roads, two in each of the county’s 30 wards.

Speaking at Kalanzoni market center, Kilome constituency, where the exercise was conducted, Prof Kibwana said the county experienced pervasive damage of roads when floods hit, saying his administration will work extra hard to make the damaged roads motorable again.

The governor said the county government will partner with members of parliament to do more roads through co-funding with MPs dedicating a substantial amount from the Constituency Development kitty to this cause.

The county boss praised Kilome MP Eng.Thaddeus Nzambia, who has on various occasions fuelled the county graders and dozers to help in repair of dams and roads within the constituency.

Nzambia, who was present during the commissioning of Kwatuva-Ngiini-Kalanzoni-Kivandini-Mbondoni-Yaitha road said he would work closely with the governor to expedite development and uplift the standard of living.

The constituency is one of those hard hit by floods with many of its roads and several dams washed away.

Roads executive Eng.Sebastian Kyoni has reaffirmed that the grading exercise for all the roads will be complete in the next two or three months.

Deputy governor Adelina Mwau said opening up of the constituency will boost its economic productivity due to its proximity to the Nairobi-Mombasa highway and Nairobi City.

PROCUREMENT REGULATOR LAUDS MAKUENI COUNTY FOR COMPLIANCE

August 23, 2024

The Public Procurement Regulatory Authority Board has hailed Governor Mutula Kilonzo Jr. for Makueni County’s outstanding adherence to public procurement standards.

Chairman Jimmy Kahindi and his board members, who visited Governor Kilonzo at his office in Wote, praised Makueni County as one of the leading procurement entities in the Country.

Kahindi disclosed that the regulator has been conducting visits to various counties to assess public procurement compliance, with previous visits to Tana River, Mombasa, and Isiolo Counties.

He raised concerns about significant procurement malpractices in some Counties and warned that the board will implement strict measures to ensure full legal compliance.

Governor Kilonzo reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to delivering quality services to the people of Makueni.

The Senate Committee on National Cohesion, Equal Opportunity, and Regional Integration recently acknowledged Makueni County for its exemplary leadership in public procurement compliance.

Finance County Executive Committee Member Damaris Kavoi, who was also present at the meeting, highlighted that in the 2023/24 Financial Year, the County Government had exceeded the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act’s requirement by allocating 40% of its annual procurement budget to local contractors, significantly surpassing the mandated 20%.